Monday, October 19, 2009

Consecration

All throughout scripture is a reoccurring theme of "hiding your treasures unto God," "not burring your treasures where moss and dust corrupt them...," "When your treasure is, there will your heart be also..."

What does it mean to hide your treasure unto God? How do we hide or treasure unto God today?

Hiding your treasure unto God means you consecrate all that you have and give it to the Lord. The word consecrate broken down: con= with and secrate= sacred. Using this information, it is safe to say the if we hide our treasures unto the Lord, it is taking all we have, all that we hold sacred in our lives, and giving it to the Lord to help further His work here on the earth.

Today, and throughout history, Satan strives to lead the hearts of the children of men away through two tactics: 1. Salvation in Sin, and 2. Salvation via money. Men, who become rich are easily swayed when in comes to consecrating all that they have to the Lord. They buy fancy cars (or you fill in the blank) (where most and dust doth corrupt it) instead of consecrating money to humanitarian work, etc. where these donations are favored of God because they are consecrating what they have to help the Lord's children.

We have also seen this throughout scripture where the rich are prideful and turn away from the Lord. But, what about those who Pres. Benson referred to in his talk "Beware of Pride," as those "at the bottom looking up"? Consecration can be a challenge for those people too in our society today. One might say, "How can I consecrate all that I have including my time, talents, and energy to helping build the Lord's kingdom when I don't even have time for myself after working 3 jobs, going to school, etc?" They then become hopeless, and exercise self-pity.

Since I am in the latter category, I pondered this a lot. How can I take my treasures: time, talents, and energy, and give it to the Lord? What is my status in this area of my life? What am I doing well at, and what do I need to be better with?

I am not going to go into all the detail's of these questions, but I will say that I came up with a question I am going to ask myself daily as I strive on the path towards eternal life. And that question is: Is what I am doing right now helping to build the Lord's kingdom on earth?

Think about it...

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Brad and Leslie meet in Maryland when Brad was about to turn 3 and Leslie was just born. They grew up in the same ward for a while and eventually got married when Leslie was only 19 and Brad was 22. They are currently attending school at BYU. Brad is an Information Technology major, and Leslie is a Public Health major. They plan to stay in UT for 4 years and go to grad school during that time. Leslie and Brad are expecting a baby September 22, 2010. They are so excited!