Monday, October 12, 2009

Gratitude #4

So, I found out this weekend how grateful I am for the Internet because I didn't have it at all on Sat. and Sun. It's amazing how much of my jobs, school, and even church callings requires the Internet. What did we ever do with out it?

I'm also grateful for my primary class. My class is so amazing in every way. They make me laugh, and cry (not because they're bad, but because they're so spiritual and good at such an early age). Funny story from this week. We showed them the movie "Only a Stone cuter," the story about John Rowe Moyle who crossed the plains, and walked 22 miles from his home to work on the Salt Lake Temple. A tragic accident happened to John Moyle when a cow kicked his leg creating a compound fracture that was immediately amputated with a buck saw. Infections were so prevalent after amputations, but his infection never came. When he was able to get out of bed, he carved himself an ingenious wooden leg that hinged at the ankle and everything. It was very painful to walk on it, but he practiced every day until he had enough strength to make the 22 mile journey.

After the movie was over, I told the class about how even ordinary people can do extraordinary things. We talked about hard work and dedication to your tasks, and many other lessons we could gain from that story. When little Eli left our class and his parents asked, "What did you learn about in your class, Eli" Eli exclaimed, " We watched a movie about a guy who got his leg cut off."

It's funny what little people remember. I guess that movie may have been a little hard for a 6 year old to grasp. Oh well.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Brad and Leslie meet in Maryland when Brad was about to turn 3 and Leslie was just born. They grew up in the same ward for a while and eventually got married when Leslie was only 19 and Brad was 22. They are currently attending school at BYU. Brad is an Information Technology major, and Leslie is a Public Health major. They plan to stay in UT for 4 years and go to grad school during that time. Leslie and Brad are expecting a baby September 22, 2010. They are so excited!